Temper Tantrums are quite normal to be seen in this age group.
Have you ever faced a situation where your 2 year old child grabs a toy from a departmental store in a shopping mall where you have come for shopping? You refuse that your child can not have the toy and instead of obeying you, the boy started to cry, scream, and hit you and then roll on the floor in front of everyone in a full blown tantrum.
Don’t feel Guilty, Would you like to know why this happens?
Toddlers get frustrated very easily. They are not able to talk much or express their feeling of anger or frustration. They have yet not learnt to delay their immediate needs and they want things immediately. As they start to realize that they are separate individuals and they often test their own powers by doing whatever they like.
What should a Parent do?
- Stay Calm
- Be Firm but gentle
- Ignore the behaviour and let the tantrum be over
- Distract and engage in something else
- Take the child to a quiet place if child is unable to calm down
- Don’t use physical punishment
- Don’t show anger
- Never take a hungry or exhausted child to market place.